I tried to watch it, honestly, but I had to stop. I can’t tolerate extended exposure to right wing doublespeak — all my neurons start misfiring and I have to completely reboot my brain. It isn’t pretty.
Having said that, I do have a few quick thoughts arising out of the part of the debate that I did watch:
- Who designed the set for the debate? Do they normally design sets for game shows? Between the flashing lights and the bell that signals when candidates run out of time, I wasn’t sure if I was watching a debate or Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (Is that show still on? I don’t watch game shows, so I have no idea.)
- Ron Paul is a complete nut who doesn’t answer the questions he’s been asked, choosing to ask and answer completely different questions, instead. I like his position on restoring the civil rights and liberties that have been vitiated by the current administration. But getting rid of the CIA and the FBI? Hey, I want those boys on a tight leash with regards to their surveillance activities and various other intrusions into our privacy, but even I will acknowledge that we need them.
- Mitt Romney looks like my mental image of Bruce Wayne, which leaves me wondering what kind of car he drives and whether he has a costume with a bunch of cool gadgets on the belt.
- Huckabee’s tax plans are insane, but probably no more so than the other Republican candidates’ tax plans.
- Giuliani seems to have gotten a bit too much sun on the Labor Day weekend, and needs to learn about the joys of sunscreen if he is going to survive on the campaign trail. Either that, or he should leave his glasses on when cameras are pointed at him.
And furthermore, I think that Bush and Cheney ought to be impeached.